Monday, August 9, 2010

Goodbyes, a time to reflect

**Gosh, has it really been over 2 months since I last touched this blog? So sad. I promise to do much better this upcoming year. So much has happened within that span of time, I think I'll break it up by major events. I'm at the BOE everyday this week, so expect LOTS of updating!**

L to R: Chris, Sarah, Isaac, Erin, me, and Al at our YES English Society farewell party

The JET Program works in 1-year intervals, allowing a participant to decide whether or not to recontract for a 2nd, 3rd, etc... year. Many of my close friends in the Guch decided to return back to their homes this summer. June and July was full of last dinners, packing dates, and goodbye parties. I have never been a big fan of goodbyes, but realize it's necessary and important role in my life. Change is an unavoidable force that often brings about hardships, but also growth. And you know me, I'm all for the growth.

The first day I met Whit, I was in tears because I had learned I would be staying at a hotel by myself away from everyone. She must have thought I was freaking CRAZY!

Reflecting back on my first year in Japan, I can see exactly how much growth I managed just living on my own in a foregin country. When I first arrived in Japan, I had never lived on my own before. Those first few weeks of washing dishes, taking out the trash, combatting BUGS in the apartment, and budgeting for food/bills/fun really did a number on me, but I got through. I remember sitting at my desk at the BOE, staring at the calendar on my desk, flipping through the months, and thinking, "How the heck am I gonna survive this?" Once I started visiting schools, participating in activities on my island during the week, and hanging out with friends on the weekends, the months just flew by.

Before you knew it, winter was here and the only place you'd find me was 5 inches away from a heater. Again, I remember sitting under my kotatsu in my living room, layers of blankets and clothing shielding me from the cold, heater just inches from my face, staring at a picture of Hawaii on my wall, and thinking, "How the heck am I gonna survive this?" (You see, we Hawaii people are a tropical species and HATE the cold...well, at least I do.) Once I started layering up my clothes, bought some snowboard gear, and started hitting the slopes, the months just flew by.

Whit and me at the Leaver's Party. Saying goodbye after a year of friendship is never easy.

Finally, after 6 months of COLD, spring came with all it's sakura beauty. And with it, hope. Hope that I really could survive and succeed in Japan. I think it was at this time that I truly reached a balance in my JET life. I had gotten into a good rhythm teaching at my schools, "working" at the BOE, seeing friends, and exploring Japan. But just as you reach this new level of acceptance and comfortability, God throws you a new set of challenges, and you find yourself saying goodbye to many friends that helped you along the way.

Seb and me on the shinkansen to Fukuoka where Seb was catching his airplane home :(

I had the greatest support system a 1st year JET could ever ask for. To say goodbye to such wonderful people was really difficult; however, I know it's a confirmation of the sincerity of our friendship. This past year was full of challenges and hardships for me personally, and these people pulled me out and saved me a lot of the time. I could enjoy their company, vent out my frustrations, sleep on their couch, cry in their arms, and discover Japan together with them. Yamaguchi did experience a great loss from them leaving, but I have no doubt in my mind that it will gain a lot with the new JETs coming in this summer. (And hopefully I can provide that sort of support system for the new JETs.)


Rather than sulk on my losses, I choose to rejoice in the memories of last year, and hopefully bring that positive energy with me through to this next year. Oh the adventures to be had!

The new JET year has arrived! BRING IT ON JAPAN! :)

Check out the short video I made for AJET! It recaps the 2009-2010 AJET/nonAJET events!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fC-ZIacMjM

No comments:

Post a Comment