Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Stopping to Smell the Mocha

A reflection on where I've been, where I am, and where I'm going...

The orange juice in my cup is almost gone. I turn to the fridge and realize that I just finished off my 2nd carton. Then it hits. I'm on my own. I can't just add 'orange juice' to the grocery list for Mom to get on her next trip to Foodland. I need to go to the market by myself. Realization sinks in. Whoa...I really am on my own.

Not only do I need to go to the grocery store on my own, but I've also had to cook for myself, clean the apartment, take out the trash, wash the dishes, and do laundry; luxuries that I easily took for granted back at home. (Yes, I suppose you could say I was spoiled.) I've learned to fend for myself in the presence of large, black, Japanese roaches and have learned how to tell when milk in the fridge is bad. (If I have to rush to the bathroom 15 minutes after drinking a glass, then I know it's time to throw the milk out.) Living on my own, I have come to appreciate this new stage of my life...a transition towards adulthood.


Me, Mom, Dad, Luke, Grandpa, and Grandma at my college graduation :)

The JET Program has introduced me to so many new experiences, sights, smells, personalities, and lessons. 3 months ago I was sitting in a library at 12 am, reading over some powerpoints and notes that I had taken in my biochemistry class. Between chapters I would sip on some coffee, joke around with friends (who were also in the same boat as me), and gaze off into the distance wondering what new adventure life was going to throw at me next. My main concern was passing my final exams. My logic was: pass final exams --> graduate from college --> JET Program. For me, the JET Program was a long ways away because without a diploma JET would not even be an option (ie. fail an exam = fail a class = be shy 3 credits of graduating). I was so relieved to have made it this far...finally bringing my GPA up to a level worthy of graduate school, passing the interview stage with JET, finding a job with the ACE Program at UH that offered exciting challenges and experiences...little did I know that I would be embarking on an adventure of a lifetime.

Coming to Japan has opened my eyes to exactly how big this world really is. Hawaii's diversity, in all its beauty and excellence, cannot compare with the diversity on an international level. This may seem obvious to most, but I was blown away at the representation of countries at the JET orientation in Tokyo. I had never been in a room with so many people of different cultural backgrounds. Just to initiate a conversation with people of varying accents and dialects was a milestone in itself. (I may be coming across as an uneducated, ignorant "islander"...but just know that I am extremely sheltered, and most people from Hawaii are not as naive as I am.)


Yamaguchi JETs hanging out at Oshima Beach
(L 2 R: Al, Whit, Kris, Michael, Isaac, Erin, Sarah, Sarah, Me, Chris, Cyndi)

I have met the greatest group of JETs here in Yamaguchi. Everyone has their own backgrounds and stories; experiences and friends back home. This is what makes each and every one of them unique. I love learning about their traditions and cultures, as well as their interests and hobbies. I think we all get along well because we acknowledge that everyone is different; everyone brings something special to the table. Maybe it's the fact that we're thousands of miles away from our loved ones and loneliness is what's keeping us together. Maybe JET has a good system of finding exciting and personable people to participate in the program that our personalities just mesh well. Maybe it's because we've only been here for a month and a couple more months down the line we're all going to engage in 'Battle Royale'. Whatever the reason is, I can truly say that I appreciate the relationships and friendships that have been established thus far here in Japan. I learn new things everyday, and my perspective of the world continues to grow.

Yamaguchi JETs watching the Shimonoseki fireworks
(L 2 R: Al, Dustin, Chris, Tom, Amy, Tiff, Zile, Sarah, Erin, Me, Chris, Isaac, Callie, Rachel)

I know that it is going to be an amazing ride, despite where this new perspective takes me. Whether I end up going to film school in New York, getting my Master of Science degree in Educational Technology in Arizona or California, or backpacking in Europe after my stay here in Japan, I know that I will be that much stronger of an individual. There may not be any orange juice left in my fridge, but I know I'll be okay. I'll just get some in the morning ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment