Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Living it up in FUKUOKA

It's Tuesday night and I'm still recovering from this past weekend! My legs are sore from clubbing and I've lost my voice from screaming on the roller coasters in Spaceworld. Worth it? I would redo it all in a heartbeat ;)

So on Sat, Sept 12, 2009 I hopped on a train to Fukuoka (a prefecture on the north tip of Kyushu). 3.5 hours later, I arrived at Hakata station only to be met by my BEAUTIFUL friend Lena (2nd year JET from Hawaii). We went shopping all across town, stopping off to have some DELICIOUS ramen, and checking out every mall we came across. It was every shoppers dream :) We had dinner at an Italian restaurant and topped off an entire bottle of white wine with another Fukuoka JET, Jon. It was the beginning of an unforgettable evening.


The amazing team of Jon, Tiff, and Lena that took Fukuoka by storm!

We met up with a great band of Yamaguchi JETs at the "hottest club in town" called HAPPY COCK. (No worries Mom, the mascot is a chicken...) It's located on the 9th floor of downtown Tenjin. And get this: 2000 yen (about $20) for women ALL-YOU-CAN-DRINK. It was $30 for guys...but again, ALL-YOU-CAN-DRINK!!! That covers drinks, cover, and a souvenir towel! Hilarious :) Why can't Hawaii have deals like that?! We partied the night away with local Japanese kids and foreigners alike. It was packed! I thought I was gonna get swallowed whole by the crowd. Cyndi, Callie, and I joined some other local Japanese girls on this raised platform and danced our little hearts out, while hyping up the crowd. We should have got paid...I hate to admit it...but we were a hit :)


Cyndi, Me, Jamie, and Callie (and Christina's in the corner!) celebrating Happy Cock's 14th anniversary!

5 hours and one-too-many-drinks later, we left the club...tipsy...but with the taste of sweet victory on our lips. We had conquered the club.


One of the cool roller coasters. You can see this huge replica of a NASA spaceship from the train!

The next day Lena, Jon, Caitlyn (yet another cool Fukuoka JET!), and I hit up Spaceworld--a slightly lower equivalent to Knott's Berry Farm in California. Their version of Mickey and Minnie Mouse are these two rabbits dressed in astronaut suits. Don't believe me? Check out their website at www.spaceworld.co.jp/english/ The overall feel was pretty tacky/corny, but it was a lot of fun! We rode a couple of fun coasters and had some ramen (surprised?) There was even a mini Splash Mountain (which was about 1/4 the size of Disneyland's!) that yielded an interesting photo op. (I'll try to post that on my facebook later!) The loss of my voice is evidence that it was an awesome day!


Lena, Caitlyn, Jon, and Me about to embark on our Spaceworld adventure.

I LOVE Fukuoka! Everyone I met was super nice and fun to hang out with. THANK YOU LENA FOR EVERYTHING!!! You are the coolest ever!!! I will definitely be back for another great time in Fukuoka :)

2 comments:

  1. TIFFY!!! Thank YOU for coming down and playing in Fukuoka! YOU were a hit with the Fukuoka JETs!! Next time you're here we can eat more ramen, do more shopping and hang at crazier hangouts in the city!! BTW, my apartment feels lonely without you. THAT'S BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Cock?! hahaha!! Sounds like you had such a fun filled day! Me so jealous. Me not so spiffy. I'm at school reading your blog ;-) It makes my day because yousospiffy. My mom is following your blog too! She loves that the towns people cheer you on as you run! hah!

    ReplyDelete